Thursday, May 3, 2012

Might be crazy

I just suggested to II that we get up at 5:20 every morning (he normally gets up at 5:40 these days and I normally get up at 6 to wake the early bus riders) and we start a couch to 5K program. I just learned that there are podcasts to go with the program. Now that I'm not using my rescue inhaler daily, I really want to focus on exercise again. While I could definitely use it for weight loss and lifestyle issues, what I am most concerned about is rehabilitating my lungs. The vast majority of my thyroid symptoms appear to have calmed down with the switch to Armour Thyroid. The new asthma meds are doing well for controlling my asthma. However, I don't want to spend the rest of my life worried that every cold will knock me out and require oral steriods just so I can breath again. So, I've been debating something for exercise out here in the country. We don't have sidewalks, but half of my neighbors walk, jog, or run on these country roads every day. Normally, I've always been a walker, just a straight out walker. It may prove to be that I need to just stick to the walking. I have horrific memories of high school gym where I was forced to run a mile every week and was wheezing and gasping for air, feeling like I was going to suffocate and pass out. I'm not sure why my gym teachers never recognized that I was having asthma attacks. However, I accepted a label that I was lazy and incapable of running. I don't want to accept that label anymore. II needs running shoes. So, he's going to buy them this weekend and we're going to start this on Monday. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I will wake the early bus riders then walk solo. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday we'll do the C25K, which means we only have to get up at 5:20 twice a week. II does well when he exercises three times per week, especially with the stress he's under at work. I know me. If I let myself not exercise more than one day per week, I stop doing it. I like walking. I like the alone time. So, three days per week I will simply walk (unless I actually CAN learn to run and eventually will work up to running), three days we'll train together, and one day I will rest. I may regret this, but I need to exercise for my health, not merely for my weight struggles. I have to start somewhere. I'm assuming that I will likely have to take more than the nine weeks normally recommended. However, II is going to sign us up for a 5K for Labor Day. So, I have until Labor Day to at least be able to job a 5K even if I cannot fully run it. If I start the habit now, then when the weather gets cold and dark, I will already have the habit established....even if I have to buy a treadmill for winter weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment